The purpose of couples therapy is to address conflict, disconnection, or difficulties relating to outside forces that are putting a strain on one's relationship, big or small.
How Does Couples Counseling Work?
- Therapist works to really understand both partners and their unique histories and backgrounds, exploring facets of their personality, communication styles, and what they would like to get out of a relationship
- Helps to put feelings into words
- Explores the past --- both partners' individual pasts, fears, and motivations, as well as the history of the relationship
- Solution-focused --- resolve conflict, adjust negative behavior, and highlight what's working in the relationship
- Teach the couple skills about how to cope with anger management, problem-solve, and practice conflict resolution
What can Couples Therapy Help With?
- Roles in the relationship --- potentially identify any unhealthy dynamics and discrepancies in relationship expectations
- Beliefs and values --- How do value sets differ between partners?
- Finances --- foster an inclusive and open environment for discussing expectations about spending habits
- Time spent together --- What has been getting in the way of spending time together? Are concerns being addressed appropriately?
- Intimacy --- openly discuss expectations
- And much more
What are the Benefits of Couples Counseling?
- Improve satisfaction with the relationship and strengthen bonding --- fully understanding the above topics, setting clear boundaries, and learning how to openly communicate desires can aid with more deeply understanding one's own partner
- Learn skills --- identify when conflict will arise, when communication is lacking, and other problem areas in advance and act on them proactively to resolve them
- End dysfunctional behavior --- learn and identify behavioral patterns that may not be conducive to a sustainable relationship, and begin to apply this identification to other relationships as well
Here at Madrigal, we are committed to addressing issues related to couples' relationships in a holistic manner.
*This information was adapted from Very Well Mind. Click this link for more information.*